It's just around the corner, First Holy Communion. It's not done yet, but here's what I've been working on this past weekend. I've had this dress pattern for several years, and it looks divine on paper. However, I'm going to have to make some alterations to make this not look like a bolt of fabric on my tall slender girl. I would even say I think it looks lovely on the hanger...but on my daughter, it just looks like some one's wedding dress swallowed her up. I don't like it!
I did consider just buying a dress, there are lots of pretty ones online. But I was afraid they wouldn't fit her well. Well, now look what I went and did! I made a dress that doesn't fit her well at all. Now is this ironic or what!
My absolute nemesis in sewing is zippers. I suck at them! If you look close to the front of the dress you can see where I damaged the fabric when I accidentally sewed over the top of the dress while sewing in the zipper. Please don't ask me to make you a garment that requires a zipper, you'll be sorry!
Lucky for me, my daughter is not picky she seems to think it's nice. I can take it in some in the back, and add a sash or something. Maybe I'll add some beading if I have time or can think of something that would compliment the dress.
Oh, I almost forgot, I did change the pattern somewhat, in that I added some cap sleeves to the dress. The dress code guidance for first communion was "no bare shoulders."