Monday, July 20, 2015

Curtain Mei Tai: take two

Having two curtain panels, and a desire for improvement I had to try this again. Ultimately the goal is to make the dream carrier, but I need to be sure before I cut into a hand woven wrap. These curtains were free, I loose nothing but time, thread, and padding in making them. I hope to make someone very happy with this sometime in the future.

This child prefers
his arms in, but he
could put them out.
So the panel on this one is much larger than the first, both in length and to some degree the width as well. However, the slimmer contour design of my first one is still apparent. I want baby to be able to stick out his/her arms and for ventilation to flow from the sides of the carrier. The wrap straps provide the customizable support so additional fabric along the torso isn't necessary. To be sure the wrap straps can make this carrier very snug, almost too snug at times (and I loosen it some for a little more breathing room). I suspect that perhaps a woven wrap fabric will have a little more give than the canvas curtains.

I really like wearing these mei tais, but I'm not fond of fumbling with the straps, especially the waist straps. However, I do think the wrap straps are much better than the discomfort of hard plastic buckles and hardware which can sometimes dig into your underarms and sides. The dream carrier might end up being a half buckle, wrap strap hybrid. I can't decide.

Another thing I am not sold on yet is the tie hood straps. I think the adjustability of the hood is second to none! However, I haven't figure out how to adjust them while in a back carry without assistance. These straps can be tied up to four different levels, but I can't reach the bottom two. In the picture above the hood is tied off at the first level adjustment.

No comments: